We are more than healthcare. We are a family of caregivers who see what we do as a calling and treat every person, every time as if they were a loved one. We don’t just heal what hurts. We ease minds and encourage spirits by providing a more personal level of care than ever before—physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Our mission is to Extend the Healing Ministry of Christ which starts with caring for others with uncommon compassion and going above and beyond to make those we serve, feel loved.
Wellness is at the core of what we do, focusing on living a better life today and always. We want everyone to Feel Whole and we see our work as a calling. This is how we make a difference. With our whole-person care, expertise and world-class resources we strive to provide an exceptional experience for all. With hospitals and facilities in over 9 states, our consistent approach to healthcare allows us to live our mission and ensure that our communities are living fuller, healthier lives.
The Director of Design Integration is responsible for identifying key partnerships, internal and external to AHS, integrating Subject Matter Expert’s into design thinking methodology/programs. Lead and guide co-creation, validation and testing of design prototypes. Establish relationships with external companies, within healthcare as well as other industries, that could be beneficial in identifying disruptive technologies or business models that would be beneficial to co-creation for breakthrough innovation. Exceptional relationship building skills and the foresight to help identify social trends and meaningful connections that would be beneficial to innovation at Adventist Health System.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Drive development of strategic initiatives by structuring complex issues into phased workstreams and deliverables. Ensure project goals and objectives are achieved within the project scope and timeframe established by the Cabinet and management committees.
• Leadership of Subject Matter Expert’s across all regions of AHS including: physicians, pharmacy, nursing, operations, finance, and legal
• Build and nurture strategic partnerships with external companies to identify, connect and develop technologies and opportunities to partner on innovation
• Identify trends in the field of healthcare as the industry changes and new companies/technology enter the competitive space
• Speak at conferences and global venues about innovation and the companies with which AHS partners
• Guide interviews and surveys for user research as well as feedback on concept prototypes
• Lead co-creation work sessions with the design center team helping to guide subject matter experts throughout the design thinking methodology
• Lead project managers to co-develop solutions with external companies as well as transition from design prototype to an operational project manager who will pilot new concepts.
• Provide data and/or reports on innovation labs to leadership as requested to research effectiveness of projects.
• Ensure solutions are co-created within parameters established by the Executive Director of Strategic Design.
• Ensure an inspiring, open and productive environment for AHS executives and teams that participate in labs/events/tours at the AHS Design Center.
• Collaborate with consumer intel/market research, marketing, user experience and other internal teams as appropriate to ensure the voice of the customer directly or indirectly influences solutions.
• Collaborate with the strategic alliance and information technology teams to ensure they are incorporated into the co-creation process as appropriate.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Deep understating of Design Thinking methodologies with the ability to provide creative direction and team alignment for Empathy Research, Co-Creation, and Iterative Prototyping • Exceptional relationship building skills • Exceptional leadership skills and effectiveness in managing creative teams • Ability to navigate through an organization to identify key decision makers • Group facilitation skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to present on-stage in front of large audiences
• Ability to share and receive information and ideas from all levels of the organization in order to achieve desired results
• Ability to think quickly and adapt to changing situations; self-motivated and resourceful
• Analytical, creative, and strong interpersonal skills
• Knowledge of design thinking/human centered design
• Demonstrated ability to meet/exceed deadlines
• General business knowledge
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PREFERRED: • Broad knowledge of the healthcare industry and the companies whom compete in the space Experienced knowledge and experience navigating AHS hospital systems
• Dynamic presenter and educator in design thinking and innovation
• Knowledge of Theory U (work by C. Otto Scharmer)
• Skilled researcher in design thinking and/or innovation
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Communications, Healthcare Administration, Design Thinking, Human Centered Design, Innovation, Sociology, Psychology or like degree
• 10+ years’ experience in design and/or healthcare • Project management experience defining scope, budget, and managing project schedule
• Experience working with industry CEO’s
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
• Master’s in Business, Communications, Healthcare Administration Design Thinking, Human Centered Design, Innovation, or like degree
• 10+ years of experience healthcare, preferably at AHS affiliate
• Invited presenter on innovation and/or design thinking at local or regional society/industry meetings
• Driving Innovation – Creating an environment (culture) that inspires people to generate novel solutions with measurable value for existing and potential customers (internal or external); encouraging experimentation with new ways to solve work problems and seize opportunities that result in unique and differentiated solutions.
• Continuous Learning – Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
• Customer Focus – Ensuring that the (internal or external) customer’s perspective is a driving force behind strategic priorities, business decisions, organizational processes, and individual activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers’ and own organization’s needs; promoting and operationalizing customer service as a value.
• Creating an Inclusive Environment – Making decisions and initiating action to ensure that business unit policies and practices leverage the capabilities and insights of individuals with diverse backgrounds, cultures, styles, abilities, and motivation.
• Technical / Professional Knowledge and Skills – Having achieved a satisfactory level of technical, functional, and/or professional skill or knowledge in position-related areas; keeping up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise; leveraging expert knowledge to accomplish results.
• Inspiring Others – Motivating individuals toward higher levels of performance that are aligned with the organization’s vision and values.
• Guiding Team Success – Using appropriate methods and a flexible interpersonal style to build, motivate, and guide a cohesive team to complete team goals.
• Communication – Conveying information and ideas clearly and concisely to individuals or groups in an engaging manner that helps them understand and retain the message; listens actively to others.