Calbee North America aims to become a snack brand that promise continuous innovation and newness to the retail customers and consumers. The ultimate goal and responsibility of this role is to launch new products in a regular cycle routine. All sales and marketing effort will be aligned with the schedule of the new product launch. The R&D Manager is responsible both for the internal process management across the horizontal value chain and for the in-depth vertical R&D process, partially collaborating with Calbee Japan. As part of a multi-functional business team, they will manage the technical resource utilization of portfolio of projects. They will be expected to independently evaluate food ingredients, new technologies and processing equipment that will improve cost, production efficiency, and food safety.
- Horizontal Process management
- Coordinate a pipeline plan with sales and marketing & production/SCM and set the launch schedule.
- Set a process from the R&D, test production and mass production procedure to align with sales and marketing product launch schedule.
- Manage internal communication and control the projects timeline, resource and problem solving.
- Vertical R&D function
- Based on the pipeline and schedule, have multiple ideas, formulas, and flavors options for the new product launches, well communicating with third party research/seasoning company.
- With aid of Calbee Japan, continuous research on new base products and new ideas.
- With company’s CAPEX plan, establish a necessary R&D facility, equipment and testing protocol/schedule.
- Attends weekly cross functional team meetings with R&D, Sales, Marketing, Production, and others to discuss projects and associated timelines, goals and objectives.
- Partners with Production, Maintenance and vendors to coordinate plant trial production processes and inclusive of scheduling and material delivery logistics.
- Leads production of prototype samples of new products.
- Reviews all appropriate documentation for certifying body approval and other regulatory requirements, and internal specification development within the technical database.
- Collaborates with QA to ensure food safety, SQF and HACCP program requirements are met and to provide product specifications and other related information to populate the technical database.
- Monitors ingredients and packaging components to identify potential cost savings measures and communicates that to the management team.
- Learns the various manufacturing equipment capabilities associated with the processes for which products may be developed.
- Maintains ongoing research and knowledge of technical service developments inclusive of potential opportunities for new products and new developments within the industry.
- Partners with vendors and internal plant to troubleshoot or optimize product formulations and production efficiencies.
- Engages academia and trade associations to promote innovation from external resources.
- Assists with other projects as needed.
Food Safety Requirements / Responsibilities
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations.
- Conduct all verification activities to assure finished product comply with food safety and quality specifications.
- Participates in the yearly review of the food safety system.
- Ensure subordinates are trained in SQF requirements applicable to their job function.
- Assist in the maintenance of SQF and other food safety and quality system requirements.
Management & Supervisory
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, flexible and innovative approach to operation management.
- Analytical and decisive decision maker with the ability to achieve organizational goals.
- Excellent time management skills with strong ability to lead, plan, and manage change and culture.
- Experience with equipment and facility planning and implementation.
- Strong interpersonal leadership and communication skills (both oral and written) and listening ability.
- Strong ability to be adaptable and flexible.
- Strong relationship building and management skills.
Other & Miscellaneous
- Maintains high ethical standards in the work place.
- Complies with all company policies and procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean and safe working area.
Accuracy, Analysis, Attention to Detail, Communication (Speaking, Reading, Writing) in English, Confidentiality, Counseling, Decision Making, Delegation, Dependability/Reliability, Diplomacy, Employee Development, Ethics, Flexibility/Adaptability, Initiative/Follow Through, Judgment, Leadership, Listening & Understanding, Math skills: Basic, Negotiation, Office Equipment Usage, Planning & Organizing, Personal Computer Usage, Presentation, Problem Solving, Product Knowledge, Relationship Building, Supervisory, Team Participation, Technical Communications, Time Management, Vendor Relations.
Education & Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Tools & Equipment
- General office equipment including phones, fax, copier, calculator, personal computer, etc.
- Software includes the use of Windows operating system, MS Office applications, etc.
- Position reports to Company President. Direct reports to this position are: Food Scientists, R&D Team.
- Company President or Chief Strategic Officer will cover during the absence of this position.